Thursday, November 06, 2008

Magic Ball Afghan



This all started after I bought my 'Royal' Yarn Ball winder.
At the time I was cleaning up my yarn room and had tons of scrap yarn.
My friend Candy had just finished a magic ball afghan (it was beautiful!) and she suggested that I use my new yarn ball winder to wind scraps into yarn balls and create a magic ball afghan as well. After seeing hers I had to create my own pictured here on the Left.

My husband, who is retired, made one magic ball and then couldn't stop. He made all of the magic balls pictured below for my afghan and more.
To create a Magic ball afghan use a size 'N' crochet hook then choose a main color and combine it with a Magic ball.
Then using Double and Single crochet stitches crochet to hearts content.
I first chose white as the main color and frogged it because
it seems to wash out the primary colors of the scraps.
I then choose black as the main color which seems to bring
out all the colors.
Make a chain of however wide you want your afghan.
Mine is 104 stitches. I double crocheted the first row,
then single crocheted the second row. Then continued to alternate Double and single crochet stitches until I finished the afghan.
You can do double crochet stitches if you prefer. This was a lot of fun to create and I am looking forward to making more of them.

These are the pictures of all the magic balls below.


















21 Comments:

At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your magic ball afghan is pretty.
You are always making something nice. You are very talented
Drema2

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

I call then scrapghans. I have no ball winder either lol. very nice!

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Cats-Rockin-Crochet said...

They look good enough to eat, can I borrow your husband to help me make mine? Love the afghan, well done.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger craziebunny said...

Beautiful!! I dont have a ball winder but maybe magically my hubby would make rolls for me lol
really glad to see hubby did his share!

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, shucky darn, I was finally able to leave a comment on your blog. I love your afghans - all of them. Jul

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Candy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Wow, your afghan is beautiful! Your husband has been busy too...you'll be making magic ball afghans for awhile now...hehehe

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Debbi-a1 said...

Beauitful! Those balls look good enough to sell (I'd be tempted to buy them). Tell hubby he did a great job in winding them. Can't wait to see other afghans!

 
At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Rachel G here. I love it, verry pretty! my grandma calls them crayola afgans.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

Great afghan! I want to start one of those too. They are so neat and sound easy to do.

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job, looks really neat, I really like it............good way to use up leftovers....

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a fabulous afgan and hubby!

 
At 7:25 AM, Blogger WarpspeedLinda aka Crochetingfool said...

Thanks everyone!!

I love making these magic ball afghan because you never know what color will come out next.

I'm making a few more using different colors and experimenting.

You are all so funny... My husband will be pleased to hear all these comments...hehehehe

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Shuggie's Momma said...

You are truely creative and talented! I have followed your blog since joining the 'Ville for insiration and tips! Way to go you have inspired me once again!!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Tina said...

I have been collecting yarn scraps and winding them into magic balls but it has been taking me forever. All your magic balls are awesome! I should get a yarn winder.

Great job on the afghan, too. :)

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

When you're making the magic balls, how do you add in each new color? Do you end up with zillions of ends to weave in?

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the colors. the yarn balls look like little sushi, strange little sushi. but still yummy!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh, how beautiful! I very much agree with you that using the black was the right choice. Thanks for sharing!

Got a kick out of your husband's lack of control. It's a guy thing. I bought the yarn roller some years ago and asked my Dad to roll a ball for me while I went to the grocery store. I got home and he and my brother had rolled 30 balls of yarn. Not what I planned and they didn't keep the yarn labels with what they rolled, but it was funny. They were so proud of themselves. :) Ultimately, my Dad ended up with an afghan with a lot of that yarn because I could not match dye lots for the intended project!

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

I love using magic balls! I don't use a single main color; I just grab two magic balls and get started. I like to make throw rugs this way. I tie the colors together and leave the tails on one side of the rug, then sew nonslip backing over that side.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Patricia_S said...

This is wonderful and inspiring! And, btw, your husband's a saint but you already know that! :)

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Fern said...

I, too, am wondering how you go about joining the yarns when making a magic ball. Also did you crochet holding 2 strands together (1 black and 1from the magic ball?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home